Sunday, September 27, 2009

Miss Piggy Would Be So Proud

Photobucket



Do not adjust your screen, you’re seeing correctly. Lady Gaga aims to “make a statement” in this coat made of…yes, those are Kermit the Frog dolls. She donned this wild piece to a German TV interview. God knows I love myself some Gaga but no wonder why the rest of the world thinks America’s crazy!

Even worse— the jacket wasn’t custom made. It’s part of Jean-Charles de Castelbajac’s Fall 2009 Ready to Wear collection. I’m not sure anybody’s “ready to wear”, or be seen in public in this collection. The eccentric designer is known for his playful inspirations and wild use of color and fabrics. Last season his muse was Legos but this season he really pushed the limits. The Kermits walked the runway alongside garments like a hooded fish-scale pailette dress and other muppet themed pieces. Some looks were rather off-putting while others may be loosely translated as fashion. FashionIndie is right that “the collection looked a bit amateur for a Paris runway, but de Castelbajac certainly knows where to place zippers, how to construct uniquely tailored cocktail dresses and what appeals to the crack-heads of the world."

Gaga explained to German TV that she was taking a stand by wearing this atrocious ensemble:

“The Kermit the Frog outfit is by an incredible designer by the name of Jean[-Charles] de Castelbajac, and he does a lot of museum art fashion pieces. … I really loved this one in particular because I thought it was commentary on not wearing fur, 'cause I hate fur and I don't wear fur. We were all laughing in the house about how it looks like a pile of dead Kermits."

Because not wearing fur is obviously the message a jacket full of Kermits sends… PETA must be so proud.


I'm not sure what brainwave de Castelbajac is on, but if it’s anywhere near the same as Lady Gaga, I don't think the world is not ready for two of them!

8 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! Honestly when I first saw this I laughed hysterically. I can't believe that someone would even think to wear something like this outside of the house. Not to mention I think its rather cruel, just because of the slaughter of some many Kermit dolls. But despit all of it, I can't imagine how this is even considered a good idea... I guess thats why I'm not Lady Gaga.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know.. It almost seems like a cry for attention from Lady Gaga with these outrageous outfits she wears. Yeah, I think she is a very unique woman; however, she is aware that these attires are getting people to not only look at her, but talk about her.. Who could blame her though? Every one wants to be noticed.. Her way may be taking it too far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, so who wouldn't wear this? I love it. The expression “she could pull off anything” does not apply to this situation. I used to be completely baffled when viewing clothing items as awkward as these. However, nothing surprises me anymore. Strange clothing items are pretty common these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For goodness sake, why do superstars insist on buying the most atrocious clothing they can buy. Although this outfit is extremely ugly, I believe that her confidence and originality is beautiful. I personally would rather see her where a bunch of Miss Piggies but I guess kermit is alright. Lady Gaga is known to where funky clothes such as the one shown in the picture so I think her outfit fits her well. Her outfit during the VMA awards was also bizarre.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This woman is so outrageous, it's actually hysterical! But in a way you have to almost give her props to have the guts to wear half the stuff she does out in public. I'm not sure I would say she's actually pulling it off, but if that's what gets her attention and puts her career in the spotlight, then more power to her. I was more astonished that it was actually a piece in a collection, not something she just sewed up on her own.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy project Runway, but my wife and I always distinguish the designers into four groups: everyday clothes, sophisticated clothes, avant-garde clothes and costumes. I always know the first people are going to lose: generally, I see a dress and think to myself "I would buy that for Megan," then I know they are getting booted. If I like it, then it is probably too conservative and boring for the judges. Then there's the sophisticated clothes--extremely well-made, innovative, but not in anyway "dangerous" or different. The innovation is subtle here. Then there's the avant-garde artists, like Santino from an earlier season. The problem with the avant-garde people is that it can quickly descend into the worst category of all: costume.

    I get that this designer is trying to "shake up the fashion world" through a connection to popular/retro culture. That works on a tee-shirt, or a poster. Not so much on a dress. Yeeesh

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always heard the phrase when referring to lady gaga from my friends: "how many muppets must die to clothe lady gaga?" so that makes this dress all the more fucking hilarious, because we can literally count how many Kermits have died to dress the twit...

    ~Bane

    http://metal-101.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Followers